Monday, March 12, 2012

Thoughts on the Road

I love history. I learn from it but I read all different aspects of history because I understand authors tell the story from their point of view no matter how objective they want to be. I learn for other people's perspective in other words.

I have just had  two day of celebrating the written word. Spending my weekend at the Tucson Festival of Books however has me taking offence at something stirring in Arizona--banned books. All because of fear. In the spirit of suppression here are the reasons for the ban--

 A school district or charter school in this state shall not include in its program of instruction any courses or classes that include any of the following:

1. Promote the overthrow of the United States government.
2. Promote resentment toward a race or class of people.
3. Are designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group.
4. Advocate ethnic solidarity instead of the treatment of pupils as individuals.
                   - Arizona State Legislature

With this kind of legislation perhaps we need to ban all books. We are a nation with a history of revolt. After all the United States was formed from this exact behavior and without concern of indigenous peoples. And yes I know we understood very little then but what about presently. Read this link to know about the books:

No comments:

Post a Comment