I have just had two day of celebrating the written word. Spending my weekend at the Tucson Festival of Books however has me taking offence at something stirring in Arizona--banned books. All because of fear. In the spirit of suppression here are the reasons for the ban--
A school district or charter school in this state shall not include in its program of instruction any courses or classes that include any of the following:
1. Promote the overthrow of the United States government.
2. Promote resentment toward a race or class of people.
3. Are designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group.
4. Advocate ethnic solidarity instead of the treatment of pupils as individuals.
- Arizona State Legislature
With this kind of legislation perhaps we need to ban all books. We are a nation with a history of revolt. After all the United States was formed from this exact behavior and without concern of indigenous peoples. And yes I know we understood very little then but what about presently. Read this link to know about the books: