Friday, November 9, 2012

First Snowfall

First Snowfall

Here are some things that I saw and felt today as we had our first real snowfall of the season.
I've included the Innuit words in the first couple of instances because we always think of the Innuit as having many words for snow.

apingaut - first snowfall
aniuk - snow for melting into water
miulik - sleet
popcorn snow - snow that has partly melted and refrozen and acts like ball-bearings
flake ice - ice that is fractured parallel to the c-axis to create flakes
big flakes, small flakes, fat flakes, swirling flakes.

Oh what fun in the wet, wet snow. I slucked around in it. I chased my rabbit in it.
I pushed it around with a shovel. I pushed water around with a shovel.
My feet are wet and cold.
I love hot chocolate.


No comments:

Post a Comment